Swissport Cargo Services
Swissport International Ltd., which is owned by
Ferrovial, a leading European infrastructure and service corporation based in
Spain, provides ground services for over 70 million passengers and 3.5 million
tonnes of cargo a year on behalf of some 650 client companies. With its
workforce of around 30 000 personnel, Swissport is active at 187 airports in 43 countries on five continents. Swissport
Cargo Services is the world's largest dedicated air cargo ground services
Project - Replacement Air Cargo Handling System
The Swissport organization used an 'in-house'
developed Air Cargo Handling System. The main system architecture and database
structure was set-up by Origin in India. Mid 1997 the project was
taken over by Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) in India
This system called 'CaSCade', was rolled-out in all
Swissport stations world-wide. The available functionality in the system met
most of the business requirements, however because of the database structure
and two-layer architecture the maintenance, development and release management was
costly and inefficient. The solution also didn't match policy of Swissport to
centralize applications a much as possible.
In 2003, Swissport
decided to replace CaSCade by off-shelve software and contracted SweetHill
Consultants to support this project.
- Project Management including project plan and proposal for the executive board of
- Change Management involving users and management in the process
- Initial software selection process creating a long list of various software
products and vendors
- Fit-Gap analyses of available products in the market
- Software selection process including RFI, RFP and contract negotiation
- CargoSpot selected as new system
- Modification of the software to suit the needs of Swissport
- Defining and testing customs interfaces word-wide (UK, USA, Canada, Singapore,
Belgium, Germany, Netherlands South Africa)
- Introduce bar-coding and intelligent use of handheld scanning devices globally,
including successful introduction of the pilot at Brussels Airport.
- Redesign and
documentation of all business process in UML Uses Cases using Enterprise
Currently SweetHill staff still supports the following
of the software
support & helpdesk
We mainly hired SweetHill Consultants because
of their many years of experience and deep knowledge of the air cargo industry,
the software vendors and systems offered in this market. This allowed us to
shorten our software selection process, speed up various projects and
developments and thru this achieve targets set. Hans van der Zwet and his team
of expert staff have continued to support us with our day to day activities
around the global roll-out and support of our new Air Cargo Handling System.
Paul G.F. Marsman
IT Manager Cargo Systems & Services
Swissport International Ltd.